It never fails to astound me how people really believe they can multitask while in control of a vehicle moving at 40 mph.
I was sandwiched between two such drivers this morning. It was , to say the least, a very scary experience.
The man in front of me was driving 10 miles under the speed limit, and, on the phone. He also appeared to be sightseeing. In this, I mean looking everywhere BUT in front of him.
I admit it. This irritated me. At 7 am , trying to get the kids to school, this guy was not the one I wanted to be driving behind. I may have muttered some not-so-nice statements.
I glance in my rear view mirror, and see Evil Knievel coming up fast behind me in a bright yellow sports car. I tap the brake, to let her know, 'hey, we aren't going as fast as YOU are ! '
She drives up so close I was sure she would hit me.
Then suddenly drops back, and speeds up again.
I think , looking to pass?
Mind you ,I am seeing this in bits, as I can't forget the slow, chatty, sightseer in front of me.
She gets close again, and I notice she has her head tilted up , and she's kind of leaning toward the center of her car.
She is using eye drops. . . I kid you not, she was that close, that I could tell exactly what she was doing, and it terrified me.
when she would glance at the road, she'd see she was too close, hit the brakes, back off, then gas up again, not paying attention until she got too close again.
I can't do eye drops standing still, and she's doing it while she's driving ??
Now in front of me ,captain tourist-with-the-local-plates is braking. WHY, I have no idea, but he has decided to go even slower.
I have to slow down, and glance in the mirror again.
Dear Lord, she hasn't noticed we've slowed, because now she's doing her makeup.
I make sure the kids are sitting right in their seats as she miraculously looks up and slows down.
At this point ,I am praying we make the next half mile to the turn.
When I do get to the turn, I have a bad feeling this girl behind me won't even notice, so I know I'll have to be quick ,and smooth about it.
I made said turn, and sure enough, she didn't even slow down at all. My 9 year old daughter in the backseat commented " Oh my God Mom!! she would've hit us ! did you SEE her? she didn't even slow down!"
yea. I saw her.
Scary ,scary ,stuff. This peeve ranks up there with Wal-Mart. Driving is a responsibility, not a luxury, and certainly not a mobile vanity, a phone booth, or a cafe.
Not only did I feel I and my children were in danger between these two drivers, but the cars behind the girl . There were at least 6 cars lined up behind her, due, of course, to Mr. no-where-to-be in front of me going too slow.
WAKE UP PEOPLE ! If you get in the car its to DRIVE, and you are NOT in a safe little bubble of your own little world. You are responsible for LIVES, of yourself, your passengers, and every other car on the road with you.
AND PUT YOUR KIDS IN THE CAR SEATS THEY BELONG IN !!!
<>
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment