Thursday, March 24, 2011

Nuthouse News

WOW ! We survived the winter!

Spring has sprung and the Nuthouse is gearing up for it !

Lyla, aka 'Giranha' ,(giraffe/piranha) has certainly settled into her place !
We had several chewing issues. Every time we left the house (sometimes even the room) someone lost a pair of shoes. Boots, snow boots, crocs, sneakers, slippers, workboots, all of them. She'd tear up egg cartons ( we save them for a friend) , trash, a few toys...( hence the 'piranha')
At one point I discovered she'd been jumping onto the kitchen table to see us leave.

So we went through the options.

Put her on the run tie out back- and she slipped her skinny lil giraffe head right out of it.

We tried to tie her in the house, locking te tie under the back door- much to my surprise, when I returned that day, the dog was standing in the driveway. Yes, she had opened the door,and slipped out of the collar.

Next, its decided she has to go with us. after several nasty scratches and seatbelt crisises, the children declared the dog was too big for the backseat. I also had a hell of a time holding onto her when the kids got in and out for school. so we ties the leash through the cargo tiedown in the back, this way she can't get into the backseat.
she ate the blasted leash.

Enough. Lyla now sports a spiffy choker chain. If we go somewhere too long to keep her in the car, we tie her out front- she can't slip out of the choker. This has been a much more pleasant arrangement.

Beyond that, she's doing well, turned a year old this month, and is following commands, stays in the yard, and protects the children fiercely.

She also has a fun way to demand playtime. I kid you not, this dog nips at my butt. When I turn, "HEY", she barks at me, as if I started it.

The children are ready for summer! We've got the play areas cleaned up. They've built a tee-pee on one end of the yard ,have the batteries for thier cars all charged up, and the boat cleaned out.
They've been doing homework outside, then off to play until dinner (I love it !)

As the warden, I'm trying to stay a step ahead of the good-weather madness I know is coming.

No comments: