Sunday, June 27, 2010

Fridge bug turned bedbug! :Tales from the South

When the children and I visited my parents in Florida, we were given the basement area. Beds, sink, fridge, tv. Kids had plenty of room to play as well.

Of course, having made the trip by car, we had cooler items and drinks to put into the fridge. When we opened the fridge, there was a big brown thing on the top shelf. My daughter came out of her skin. I flinched, but almost expected ‘ something’. My father is notorious for hiding odd scare-ables in refrigerators. This particular scare-able, was a huge plastic cockroach.

This could not go for long without some kind of retaliation. Having a 6 year old boy, we had a bucket o’ bugs at our pleasure.

Turned out we didn’t need his bugs though. My sister went to work one evening ,and it was just too easy. I took the plastic cockroach into her room, and placed it so it was barely peeking out from under her pillow. Barely enough to rub her head,maybe tickle at her hair, just enough to freak her out.

When she got into bed, we knew it. Even downstairs, with the AC running loudly, I was able to hear her blood curdling shriek, and the stomping above my head as she ran across the house to escape.( Oh, What I would have done to be a fly on the wall !!)

Roughly an hour later, my Mother came downstairs to tell me how “cute” I am. To tell me that yes, I managed to scare the daylights out of my sister, but ALSO my grandmother, mother, and father, who were sleeping within much closer hearing range of Sister’s reactions. This was not appreciated much by the elders at 11:30 pm.

Mom was also sent on a mission to return the cockroach to a spot to scare me back. This mission did not succeed. She was instructed to put the cockroach into my coffee cup, for an early morning shocker. When she was feeling sneaky enough to pull it off, she realized I would have made the coffee without looking in the mug, therefore dissolving the cockroach.

I will say it was an excellent effort.

No comments: