Its been an unusually long winter here in Tennessee. having enough snow to play in at least once a year, is a treat. This year , we had just about a full month of snow play.
In true Nuthouse fashion, everyone geared up daily, and out we went to do what damge we could. We shot down our hills at breakneck speeds, children, adults,and animals alike. And of course, you must know there was damage.
I realized that Son had an issue with steering his sled. For some reason, he hit one particular tree every time he went down the hill. I DO mean every time. Son was told more than once not to sled laying on his belly, facefirst. I had waking nightmares of him slamming that tree. He told me, " Mama don't worry, I go on my knees." Good boy.
After a few days, I took the video camera out. Took some fun clips of Husband sledding with the dog, the dog chasing the kids, all of my crazies on one sled, and countless tip-overs.
One video may just make us some cash. It is going to be submitted to AFV.
Son hits his sled, down the hill he goes, and to my surprise, not aimed at "his" tree, but a small bare bush. He lays back flat, and slides into the bottom, where he lays giggling. As he begins his giggles, Daughter is heard yelling from the hilltop. pan left, to find her on the sled, barrelling down full speed, but not straight down the hill- she's moving on an angle, aimed at the playboat. (the 'playboat" happens to be an actual boat parked in the drainage ditch) Viewers hear mommy gasp as the child moves full speed to the boat, and under the front end. She also, lay down flat on the sled, but the sound and visual to the viewer is much like a cork going into a bottle. She also got up laughing hysterically. No damage to either child, but I think it's safe to say my own fear of thier damage was enough to knock 3 years off of my life.
Another fun event, admittedly with actual damges :
Sledding with a 'snowpal'.. We have a friend who works , and on snow days from school his daughter comes to our house. The children are sledding, and having a blast. Snowpal's poppa comes to pick her up, and we're talking and watching the kids..
I am explaining to him, that "Son scares me silly with that tree, he can't seem to miss it!I'm so glad he sleds on his knees ." I kid you not folks, AS I am speaking these words, Son glides by, giggle giggle, on his belly, facefirst. and hits that tree faster and harder than ever before- with his FACE.
I think I lost an even 4 years that time. he had turned his face up as he hit the tree, so hit his chin- he was a mess. Got him into the house and cleaned up, and the poor thing was so swelled up. His lip was roughly 2x its normal size, but thankfully he hadn't bit through his lip (again) or knocked out any teeth.
Son decleared he would " never ever sled again."
You must know this self -vow lasted all of 12 hours. of course we'd had another 3 inches overnight.
As great as this was, even the children got burnt out on being home from school, and either stuck at home or in the yard.( we live somewhat 'backwoods' , our roads are not maintained and tend to turn into solid ice.)
We all started to miss the SUN. and being warm. Even being on a regular school schedule would have been awsome. The kids were averaging 1 -1/2 days a week IN school.
Son woke one morning and came to me, and said "MAMA! guess what !! its spring today! "
I said no, its not spring yet honey, its still only 28 degrees outside.
"but mama!! it HAS to be spring because the sun is shining and it always does that for spring days!"
oh Son, how I wish it were that easy.
Even following the snow days, and returning to school on a regular basis, it stayed COLD, and we had what was called by the weathermen "white rain". You know its bad when the kids don't want any more snow, but when the weatherman won't even SAY it anymore.... well, we were all tired of it.This wasn't accumulating, just annoying flurries, that melted before they even hit the ground.This was the week that I declared next year I was going to go " groundhog hunting".
FINALLY, we in east TN are enjoying a slow warm up. we've finally hit 50+ degrees, for the first time since early november.
Son has decided it IS spring now. doesn't matter what anyone says. it IS spring to him.
And he may be right. The birds have come back, and sit in the trees near the house to scream at us as we come and go, because the feeders need to be re-hung. The cat is back to exercising , by chasing the squirrells across the roof (bumpita bumpita bumpita bang, bumpita bumpita bumpita)
All signs of spring alright. Mama is happy for a thaw, the sun has been out more often, the kids have been playing outside without an hour 'dress up" session.
I just don't have the heart to tell him yet, that springtime is TN is storm season.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment