My daughter(8) and I had some very interesting topics this evening.
We were in the car, headed for an after school activity. I've found these little drives with only one of the children can be very enlightening, as to what goes on in their worlds.
" Mommy? Can we grow corn from fish like the indians did? Like, in our own garden?"
Corn from fish? HUH?
She explains that in her social studies class they talked about how the indians taught the pilgrims to grow corn with fish.
"they planted the raw fish, and had big corn fields mama."
um.
"hon, the only thing I can think that means is that the indians showed the pilgrims how to make the soil better putting fish into it- making compost soil. kind of like the manure mix we use for our gardens. it gives the plants more nutrients. "
" the corn grew though mama."
"well, yea- the corn grew after they planted the seeds- the corn didn't grow out of the fish. they had to plant seeds."
hmmm. oooh ok.
fish corn.... she caught me off guard with that one.
but. now, thinking back on it, she may have simply been preparing me for the doozy up her sleeve.
We drive quietly a bit, and the next thing she says is " my teacher said we'd going to do a really gross experiment mom." (this came complete with grossed-out-girly-squirm)
oh yea?
"yea, we have to touch OWL poop!"
oh gross., thats nasty.
"she said we'd have to bring gloves to touch it, but we'd have to find stuff in it!"
This is where the science concept hit me. . .
"oh hey! you know what, that could be cool, because owls don't reallt digest food."
"what's that mean?"
"well- what they eat they poop. you find little bones, stuff they've eaten."
"ooh. can I have some gloves mama? oh but that GROSS, I have to touch owl poop! ""why do I have to wear gloves though?"
oh dear.
"because its still poop! You don't just sit around and play in poop- its nasty and ..and... germy! you'll get sick..."
and the sillies hit her. I was openly discussing poop with an 8 year old.
"You play in poop mama"
:no I don't- thats nasty!"
"you changed alot of diapers, yea you did!"
"oh YUK. Thats different from looking for bones in owl poop hon! And i really wan't having fun!"
desperate to redirect her sillies, I tell her I'd love to know when they'll be doing this project, because it would be fun to watch.
"oh mama you wouldn't touch owl poop?"
um. Maybe with the gloves.
"I double dare you mama. you have to do it if I do it. "
(and what if Mama decides not to go to the school at all that day? I have that choice!HAHA)
"ok girl. you're on. I'll ask her about it ."
and she explains how the teacher is still looking for someone to let her have owl poop.
Some days, you just have to smile, shake your head, and giggle, just a little.
**UPDATE : two weeks later I picked up a very excited child from school. they had indeed, done a science project which consisted of searching for recognizable bits and peices of small critters in owl vomit. . My daughter said they had found a tiny little beak, bones, and some fur which belonged to a vole. I am personally torn between disappointed and glad that i missed this event.**
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment