This has been an interesting week for me,
full of memories and nostalgia.
Having entered the world of internet 'networking', I've come across many old friends.
Friends that I've not seen,heard of, or spoken to for almost 20 years.
*
If you know me personally, it's sometimes hard to see why I am the person I am today.
I have many odd ,conflicting, characteristics.
Such as the interesting combination of loving to teach, with an uncanny taste for thrash metal music. (no, I do not combine the two!)
Some people are quick to point out my general silence when out and about, and the sudden change to a loudly voiced, passionate ,opinion.
*
Having been reflecting with these old friends, I've seen myself ,where the growth of these quirks originated .
To start with, I was born in New York. Many groan when they hear someone say this.
"oh here comes the attitude"
Yes, ok, there IS a specific attitude God decided to only grace New Yorkers with, but most hold it stable for the most part, and there is a mutual understanding between locals.
People who know me "post-NY" would have a hard time relating the experiences I had there with the person I am now.
*
Many think that as you grow and mature, over the years some events fade out, and don't have much impact on your life, simply because you may never think of it again.
I've learned that it stays with you, and becomes such a part of you-even not realizing it-that those 'irrelevant' events mold the person you become.
*
From NY, I also spent many years in Florida.
Wow. That was an adjustment I wasn't sure about!
Completely new lifestyle, different 'brand' of people.
Those people as well, added to my "me"factor , to be filed away for new quirks.
My Florida years were certainly full of different experiences, and here I learned to direct my life, by learning from my mistakes,and making the proper tweaks to change them.
*
The adjustment from Florida to Colorado was a welcomed one.
I consider it the place I truly call home.
Like everywhere else I'd lived, I was faced with another lifestyle and type of people.
There's a certain "life" energy that becomes contagious, as well as addictive!
I believe this to be where I became what is called "an adult",at least mentally.
I got married, started a family, and continued my career, and fell into the groove of the great cosmos around me.
*
One more move with my family, something I call "the last culture shock".
Coming to Tennessee made me feel my NY roots, and everything in between.
My first words upon arrival, "You're kidding, right?! where's the tv crew?"
I've adjusted well in the past 5 years, but will admit, it hasn't been the smoothest one.
I have realized, somewhere deep inside, I've been fighting the smooth, regular routine of middle life creeping up on me.
*
Being somewhat reunited with friends from all of these locations, reminds me what roles they've played in my life, and what they've molded into my persona.
There are many events I'd love to go back to, people I'd love to have a bit more time with,
and can't help but wonder what would have happened IF...
Where would we all be now with that one little IF into play?
Would we be the same people we are now?
Somehow, I highly doubt it.
*
I myself have become a melting pot of places and people,
I suppose you'll never know which you'll see in me on any given day.
I'm happy to be who I was, who I am, and who I am yet to be.
I'm grateful for the experiences I've had ,with the people I had them with,
even the bad ones.
*
After all, every one of the many roads I've chosen, has led me to be
Queen of the Nut House.
Can't possibly complain about that!
:)
No comments:
Post a Comment