The Nuthouse is located on 5 acres of property, which was previously a campground. We found out quickly it is also a huge topic in the area, as it is a huge site, in an area where most are only 1 acre sites. Its our quiet little sanctuary, our asylum.
When we had moved here, the property had been closed and empty for several years. Naturally , we had alot of neighbors driving through, to see what was going on. we also had many walkers.
What bothered me about this was that not one stopped to say "hi, welcome". When we saw someone come through, we'd stop them, and ask if they needed something, a polite version of "why are you on my property?"
The replies were rediculous.
"we thought it was part of the state park" (said park does back up to us, but the entry is miles away)
"we thought is was still open as a campground"
"oh! this isn't a dog park?"
These are rediculous, because all of these neighbors knew better, and WE knew they knew better, which made it very frustrating. We figured they believe its easier to appear completely ignorant through lying than just being honest and saying they were curious.
Husband and I purchased big bright "closed" signs, and "private property" and "no tresspassing for any reason at any time" . We hung them at both entries, along the driveway, and also in the back woods.( for the ATV trail- they get a it too close at times- and folks seem to like hunting back there. no thanks!)
once folks got used to us being here, the wandering slowed down.
We had several folks in campers or huge rv's show up from time to time as well, who were just as rediculous.
" we came all the way from
Is that right ? because the campground hasn't been open for several years, and you were silly enough to drive all that way without calling for at least a reservation? ( note, many of these overly intellegent rv'ers had local plates.)
These folks we told about other campgrounds, or, if thier plates matched their sad tales, we would offer them the night at regular camp rates.
The neighbors haven't given up however .
Every time something changes here at the nuthouse, they all miraculously become health nuts and walk by 3 or 4 times a day. when we got our pool, when we had a trailer placed here for friends, ( THAT caused a silent uproar along the grapevine) whenever we have a party or event, and recently when my husband started cutting down the dead trees.
Not long ago, I was working at my desk, near a window that looks out on the driveway. I see an older couple and a dog, just strolling along. To have reached the point they were at, they had to have passed FIVE signs stating no tresspassing, private property. There is no way they didn't see the signs.
Out I go, to politely tell them they are not in a dog park or park trail...
I haven't seen these folks before, so todays question, " Excuse me? ? can I help you? are you lost?"
The woman turned very abruptly, and gave me a nasty look that implied I was an awful person for thinking she could possibly be lost.
" no, we are not lost. we are just taking a stroll through the area." ( which comes with the biggest, phoniest, grin I have ever seen)
"oh" I reply, " There are some great tree colors this time of year isn't there? the temperatures have been perfect for walks. But, you're on private property, as the signs you passed state very clearly. "
I can't believe this, but the woman wanted to debate it with me !
"nooo.. this must be part of the park. it looks just like those walking trails. we figured it went through. do you know where?"
oh this is a new one.
" no, it doesn't go through. you aren't IN the state park ma'am. you're actually in my driveway, not a hiking trail. . the park entrance is on the other side, through town."
"Well that can't be right."
still stunned she's actually arguing this with me, I mean, really ?? I'm trying pretty hard not to get overly obnoxious with an overly obnoxious person.
"Ma'am ,this isn't the park, the park does not have tresspassing signs along thier trails, the park does not park lawnmowers on the trails, the park does not have an appliance graveyard... ( hubbys a plumber, brings home replacemet rejects for scrap) ... can you honestly tell me this looks like a state park ?
the signs you passed , all five of them, are not there for decoration. they are there to keep strangers out of my yard, away from my children and pets, much like I imagine you do at your own home.
It's not a park, its not a dog trail, its not a campground, its my HOME, and being that I don't have time to argue with you, I will plainly say, you're tresspassing, and I ask you to leave my property."
"oh. "
At this point i was actually worried she'd ask me if she could see the property deeds!
"guess we'll be on our way then."
through this entire exchange, the man said nothing. not a peep.
Instead of continuing up the driveway to the closest exit to the road, she turned around, to go all the way back through the property!
unbelieveable.
A week later- I notice they have moved in two houses up from ours.
Better get more signs. maybe some big dogs, wearing signs.
No comments:
Post a Comment