Monday, September 21, 2009

Son's theory of fish tanks

oh, I know. more fish stories. All the craziness around here, and somehow its all about the dang fish.

Son's tank now has a nice green layer of algae coating the glass. Primed and ready for a new ploccy. I thought he'd be happy to hear this news.

hey Son, look, the tanks ready for a new ploccy!

"you're not putting it in MY tank! it just dies and its bad for the fish and its just a waste of money mom."

I stand gaping at my 5 years old, thinking of something wise to say to him.what came out was :

well, the fish aren't expensive hon, I don't mind getting it. if you're worried about it dying we'll just call it mommy's fish- and you won't have to be upset if it does die.

"I'm not sharing my tank"

what? you and your brother share it. you let him leave his frogs in there.

"but bro's a BOY, and you're a GIRL, and if YOU put your fish in there, it won't be a BOY tank anymore.get your own tank mama"

Now, granted, the child is skirting the boundaries of plain old rude. He did do it with a little grin, which means he knew it, and also felt he'd made perfectly good sense with his reasoning on the matter.

Which ,as Mother, I had to deny him that.
"Is that right son? Allow this GIRL to remind you who it is that CLEANS your 'boy tank'. oh, wait, I know, its ME. and this GIRL doesn't mind helping you with your fish, but its not a job I like much. So, since you get to pick the fish and feed them, and I have the dirty job of having to clean it, I think I should be able to pick one fish to help me do my job... for YOUR tank."


Boy had to think on this for a minute.

"well. ok mama. . . . I get to feed it though." (he loves tying the seaweed strips to the rock and drop it in)

you have a deal pal.

I'd like to say this wil be the end of the "ploccy" tales, but I suppose only time will tell. This week , we try again.

No comments: